Monday, January 9, 2012

Have you 'scene' it?

“If I’m at a dull party I’ll invent some kind of game for myself and then pick someone to play it with so that I am, in effect, writing a scene. I’m supplying my half of the dialogue and hoping the other half comes up to standards. If it doesn’t, I try to direct it that way.”
—Evan Hunter

I think as an intrinsic writer, I'm often looking for scenes. Let me explain: I often examine my surroundings looking for a story to tell. Generally though, a given situation will only supply a scene. A story is more involved; for example, stories involve finely-tuned characters with flaws and backgrounds, and well-structured plot that weaves, riffs, and undulates until all the loose ends are connected, until all the kinks are unwoven.

Scenes, on the other hand, can happen anytime, anyplace. So can 'concepts,' or 'themes,' if you will. I attended a wake tonight. The deceased was the elderly mother of a cousin. I scanned over the old black and white family photographs glued to the poster board, and reveled a little in her 'golden era' shots and poses. Bobbed hair, church hat, porcelain visage, simultaneously carefree and classy. From here a 'concept' developed: ten to fifteen years from now, these types of snapshots won't be occupying the empty spaces of funeral homes. The youthful pictures will depict long hair, sideburns, and bell bottoms. Abracadabra. A theme is born.

This is how I think these days. This notion--however fleeting--could find itself in the pages of my novel one day. I didn't always know it, or at least I couldn't always put into words, but I've always, without a doubt, for most of my life, been creating scenes. Is that what makes me an intrinsic writer?

I became aware of it in my early twenties. Oddly, at bars. Who'd of thought? While most kids my age were focusing on getting drunk and hooking up, I'd plant myself at a bar stool and observe. I'd look around for a scene to create. For a lifelike moment to imitate in my stories. I'd give strangers identities, and I'd do gut checks...how are you feeling, Katie? Here you are alive in this moment. What do you got? What can you carry forth? I labeled myself a 'philosophical partier.'

I guess in order to write, one must look to write. It's a sacrifice in a way. To live on the outer most circle. But to us intrinsic types, it's not just worth it, it's second nature.

1 comment:

  1. You have a very interesting perspective. You may say that your observation of scenes in real life puts you into the outer most circle, but you can go further out. You are still observing the world. I have a tendency to withdraw, not seeing scenes in the world, but running through imaginary scenes in my mind.

    ReplyDelete