Sunday, January 8, 2012

Visions

As an intrinsic writer, my ability to conjure images is plentiful. Since I was a kid, while reading books I'd envision places that I've never seen before. Sure, sometimes a character's mentioning of "Grandma's house," would place me in my own grandmother's home. More often though, I'd see a whole place. New houses, new schools, new neighborhoods, new towns, new cities, etc. Sometimes I'll revisit these places that live in my mind's eye; in other words, two totally separate novels by two totally separate authors will wind up in the same setting.

As I gradually transform from reader to a reader/writer, this notion grows stronger. Unless I have particular setting in mind (i.e. my most recent short story) my mental backdrops are glimpses of the unknown. Where are these places? Do they exist? Do I dare attempt to be new-agey, and suggest that they are abodes from a previous life?

One could argue that it's based on a writer's description, but that can't be 100% percent correct. Now that I write like a fiend, I understand that regardless of how important sketching may be, there is still a story to tell. All good stories balance the touchstones--characterization, plot, themes, etc.--there is only so much room for description. The writers plant an idea, that's all. The rest comes from the clandestine capacity for fantasy of the intrinsic reader.

These places...or people or things...creep into my mind throughout the day. It always gives me a warming feeling. If my current environment feels threatening in the least, I can escape. I've always been naturally drawn to books, but it wasn't until I started writing that I've understood why. Words and books exert the mind. A novel has far fewer limitations than do film or television.

But we know this. The ability to create our own settings only helps to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment